Prolong Your Dog's Life
At Animal Hospital of Streamwood, we focus on giving your dog the highest level of canine preventive care and wellness testing, partnering with you to tailor care to your pet's specific needs. It's always better to avoid problems or catch them early than it is to treat an advanced illness or aggravated injury.
Nothing is more important for the well-being of your dog than the semi-annual physical examination. This visit gives our veterinarians an opportunity to discuss emerging topics critical to keeping your pet happy and healthy for as long as possible.
What to Expect at Your Dog's Semi-Annual Visit
One of our friendly veterinary technicians will greet you and your dog in the reception area and escort you to an exam room. Once in the exam room, our technician will get a complete medical history from you about your pet.
Knowing as much information as we can about your dog allows us to provide preventive health care recommendations tailored to your pet's unique needs. We'll ask about what type of foods and treats your pet eats, where your pet visits geographically, and what type of exercise and activities your pet may participate in.
Next, one of our veterinarians will perform a comprehensive nose-to-tail examination after reviewing your pet's history. A technician assistant will assist the doctor with the exam; ensuring your dog's comfort and safety. During the visit, our veterinarians will:
- examine your pet's eyes, ears, nose, mouth, coat and skin
- listen to your pet's heart and lungs, palpate their abdomen to assess organ size, and feel for masses
- evaluate musculature, cognitive function, and overall body condition
In addition to a thorough physical exam, we will discuss nutrition, dental care, parasite control, and chronic disease problems, such as arthritis, that your canine pet may face with age. Wellness blood work helps us detect and treat problems in the early stages, before they become serious and possibly life-threatening.
After assessing your dog's physical health, our veterinarians will work with you to develop a wellness plan to keep your dog healthy, active and comfortable. Among other things, this plan will include:
- Vaccine Recommendations based on your dog's age, breed, medical history and lifestyle. Core Vaccines include Rabies, Distemper and Leptospirosis. Our veterinarians may also recommend additional vaccines such as Lyme, Bordetella (Kennel Cough) and Influenza. Having your pet vaccinated appropriately has been shown to reduce the incidence of some preventable illnesses.
- A Health Check Report detailing the examination findings and the things you can do to enhance your pet's health. If the focus of your visit is illness or injury, we will thoroughly explain all diagnostics and treatments recommended and why. Pain control will always be addressed and included in your pet's treatment plan.
- Parasite Control Products to control parasites such as heartworms, intestinal parasites (like round worms), fleas and ticks. Controlling these parasites helps protect your dog and your family members from easily transmitted parasites.
- Diagnostic Testing to confirm the absence of heartworms or other internal parasites and early disease screening tests to help identify any internal issues which cannot be detected during a thorough physical exam.
Your veterinarian will also discuss other services, such as dental care or microchipping, that will benefit your dog's overall health and wellbeing and advise you on any questions you might have regarding your pet's health.